Saturday, March 13, 2010

New Baby Chicks have moved in,

it wouldn't be spring without baby chicks peeping, so here are the newest family members,



This is Barbie, she is a mystery chick. She came in the same box as the Buckeye chickens below and the guy at the feedstore was trying to tell me she is a Buckeye. Well, I don't believe it. I bought Foxi and Bruna yesterday, today I went back to get Barbie. I think she is probably a Delaware and somehow ended up in the wrong box. Let's hope Barbie doesn't turn out to be a rooster.
Above and below is Bruna, she and Foxi are Buckeye chickens, they are supposed to have a rich, reddish brown color as adults and lay brown eggs. They hatched only 5 days ago on March 8. Bruna's face has a lot more yellow to it than Foxi.




This is Foxi, she has more red in her face, but the reason I call her Foxi is because she is so feisty. I picked her out of a batch of about 50 little chicks, something about her caught my eye. We will see, she is all over the place in their brooder, and today I saw her "killing" a piece of hay like an expert, she sure tore it into small pieces, she will sit nicely in my hand, but didn't cooperate with the photo business, so I only have a headshot



Above and below is Nicki, she has a black spot just below the neck. Nicki and Calli are California White chickens, they will be white with some black spots, they lay white eggs when they get old enough. These two are already over a week old.











Above and below, this is Calli, (for California girl), she has a black spot mid back












1 comment:

House Hen said...

The baby chicks are lovely. I saw some at a feed store by my house and I darn near broke down and got one. Especially when I saw "turkey". But the thought of another animal in the car as I travel the US gave me enough pause to say no.