Saturday, May 1, 2010

Chicks 7 and 8 weeks old,

this group is ready to move out into the barn, I have oiled the perches, added fresh shavings and put up a heat lamp, just in case it gets cold, now I just need to barricade the door a bit so the goats can't get in when I open it. That way this group can have their own little area in the goat pen and can come in at night to their area without needing me to move them or the other chickens harrassing them. Then on May 12 I am going to get some Welsummer chicks from the feedstore and later this year some Marans, but they will already be older pullets if not already laying eggs.


Nicki and Calli are 8 weeks old now, the other 3 are 7 weeks old, there really isn't a noticable difference between any of them except that Barbie at 7 weeks old is bigger than the rest. But then I still don't know if she is a Delaware or not.
One of the Buckeye pullets

Here is Barbie with the green legs, she's got big legs too. I don't think she is a rooster. So if anybody knows what she is, I would like to hear it.


Barbie on the left and one of the California Whites to the right

Here is the other Buckeye, she still has a few downy fluff on her head

The Buckeyes are rather calm little girls, the have a nice chatter but not to the point of being annoying.

The California Whites have a nice slender body shape and very long tails, they are very pretty pullets, still waiting for them to get their black spots.


The combs and faces are starting to show a bit of red.

No comments: