Thursday, May 13, 2010

More new chicks and the 9 and 10 week old pullets,

nobody warned me when I got my first chicks 3 years ago that chickens are addictive, there are so many different breeds and color patterns, and I love to have many different breeds and colors when I go and spend time with my flock, most of my chickens have names, except for the ones I really can't keep apart like my 4 Black Jersey Giants.

So yesterday I got one more batch of baby chicks for this year, I had planned on getting 4 Welsummers which the feed story ordered for me, then I wanted to get one of the Silver Spangled Hamburg chicks because they look very special, but when I got to the feedstore with all the chicks still in the boxes they were shipped in, I found out they also had some Golden Laced Wyandotte chicks (silver too) so on impulse I got 2 of those, I would have really liked the silver variety too, but 7 was already more than I had planned on. So here are the newest additions:


3 little Welsummer chicks fresh out of the shipping box

A Welsummer chick, this is a breed that lays a fairly dark brown egg, we will know more what color these are laying in 5 months

One chick is missing in this picture, this is when I first set them down when I brought them back from the feedstore


they had no trouble figuring out how to drink water, they all immediately had a good drink, which was the first water they had in their lives, as the chicks that are shipped that way are packed up and shipped out soon after they hatch, they can survive 2 and up to 3 days without any food or water after they hatch, so that's when they are being shipped out. I have never ordered any myself as I would be really heartbroken if I would find dead ones in there, which can happen.

This is the little Silver Spangled Hamburg chick, she is already about a week old and she has the little poop balls on her toes which are very hard to get off, I have put some vaseline on them to soften them so I can get them off.

that's her again, this is a fairly small breed, this chick is a week old but the same size as the ones that were just hatched.

little Welsummer chick, they all look the same, so no names for them

little fluffball

here are Calli and Nicki the 10 week old California White pullets, they have moved outside now and enjoy their freedom, they are very beautiful with their slender bodies and long tails, they are good flyers too


such elegant little pullets

this is Barbie, she has beautiful markings and I still think she is a Delaware and she just has off colored legs,

she is the largest at 9 weeks of this batch, I am pretty sure at this point that she is a pullet and not a cockerel, I think by now she would have a larger comb if it was a he.

one of the Buckeye pullets, they are rather calm
Barbie in the foreground and the Buckeye in the back

here is the little group taking a drink, note the waterer, when they were little chicks they could barely reach over the rim, now I have it sitting up on a plastic box and actually this waterer is being moved to the new chicks now because this group can drink from the big chicken water bowls now. I still have them separated from the adult hens, but I am going to slowly start letting some of the big hens come and visit so they can get to know each other over the next week or two

No comments: