Sunday, January 22, 2012

New Arrivals,
the feedstore had a few pullets and I couldn't resist, since they all were the types I liked, I just had to get them. They all seem to be around the same age, my guess is around 5 months old, so should start laying any day.
The nice thing about getting pullets that are almost at point of lay is that I won't have to put in all the labor of raising baby chicks. As cute as baby chicks are, in our climate it's a real challenge to raise them. The last groups I raised in the garage, at night I had to worry about freezing temperatures and during the day it got too warm for them to be in the garage, then when I took them outside, I had to bring them into the garage at night because it was getting too cold at night, so lots of work shuttling chicks back and forth, not to mention the worries.

Meet Ruby, one of my new pullets, I really do not know what breed they are, my Mexican neighbors always seem to have chickens that look like this. Ruby looks a lot like my Ms Daisy, so we will see what she looks like when she is all grown.



And here is Carmen, she is the same type as Ruby. Carmen has the color of this type of chicken that I have wanted for a long time, every since I saw my neighbor's chickens. Carmen has already figured out that she can fly up and perch on the dividers in the barn. She is actually a bit darker in real life than it appears in these pictures.



Carmen and Ruby



Carmen showing off




Carmen on the move




Another view of Carmen the pretty girl



And here is Sugar, she is one of the other two girls I got, I am guessing she and Cookie are Ameraucanas, hopefully I am right and they will be laying lots of pretty colored eggs





Cookie, she seems to have lost some tail feathers during her stay at the feedstore, she will be pretty when those grow back, she has very pretty coloring




Sugar in the front and Cookie in the back




the two of them showing off, these two arrived today and really settled in quickly, however they stayed close to the barn all day and never went over to the perimeter fence. Carmen and Ruby left the barn this morning and spent all day along the perimeter fence. I was a bit worried that they wouldn't go back to the barn in the evening, but they all did and they seem to be accepting of each other's presence. I had originally brought home Ruby and Carmen and also a rooster with another hen, but the rooster's little hen took offense to the other females and attacked them and the rooster backed her up, so I put the two of them back in a crate and took them back to the feedstore, then today I went back to get Sugar and Cookie.




Looking forward to when they are all grown up




My Pretty Girls Sugar and Cookie


No comments: