Saturday, June 2, 2007

9 weeks old

Chicks will be 9 weeks old on June 4th. They are getting pretty big now and Goldie the little rooster continues to practice crowing, I can't notice any improvement in his skills yet. Sophie's tail feathers are starting to grow down and the comb is growing as well, so looks like she is a boy as well and I need to find another name for him.
Bella taking a break on one of the branches I put up for the chicks
Lucy standing on the rim of the sand box. Our sand got all wet and muddy when I left the mister on for a while and it watered the sand, it should look nice again as soon as it dries out.

Tippi standing in the water. She actually will lie down in it and go to sleep, smart chickie.

this picture shows part of the chicken yard with some of the items I have put in there, a branch for roosting, an old broom stick in the corner that they love to use as a perch, underneath I have put some wood shavings and some hay for them so scratch around in, they also like to take naps there. I added this shallow plastic pan that we had originally bought to go under the washer. For some reason I have 3 of them, so now one is in with the chicks, so they have some water to cool down. The little table I made myself and I have a waterbowl up there so the water won't get so dirty with all the dirt the chicks tend to kick up. the table also serves as a resting spot for the chicks, they love to pile up under it for a nap.

Tippi loves the water.

Bianca on the go.

Taking a nap under the little table. Note the difference in sizes, Sophie in the middle is huge compared to Mira on the left. Mira is a feisty little one. Today I brought out a plate with some treats and everybody piled around it to eat. Mira
wasn't big enough to push in, so she just jumped right into the middle of the plate to claim her share.

Chicks make great pillows.

Pearl posing on the rock.


Tippi kicking out her legs, and Tobi next to her

Goldie and Sophie.

Mira and Buffy checking out a piece of apple


No comments: