Wednesday, April 25, 2007

More pics of the fast growing chicks


Can't keep up with taking pictures of my little chicks. It's 3 weeks today since I got them. It is amazing to see their feathers grow in with all the different patterns. When I tried to decide on what breeds to get I got quite frustrated at the lack of good pictures of the different breeds. So I am quite curious about what my chicks will look like as adults. First picture shows Sophie, she is huge, has a little bit of an eagle look to her, and I am afraid that she is HE.


Look at the feathers of this Buff Orpington.










I am trying to apply dog wisdom to chicks. One thing to keep in mind is that those cute little chicks will grow into some rather good size birds, so behaviors that won't be acceptable from the adult chicken needs to be discouraged. One of them, Bella, just waits for an opportunity when I kneel down or sit down and she flies on my back or shoulder, I guess the shoulder would be okay, but once today she actually flew on my head. Weeeellll, I reached up and got the little uppety chickie off my head. Bella is a Golden Campine, and for the longest time I was wondering what's "Golden" about them, but now the golden pattern is emerging.





Goldie, the other Golden Campine, her comb is growing.










My little Lucy should be quite beautiful when she grows up, right now she has these beautiful orange/golden feathers growing in around her neck. She is a very sweet girl. It's actually interesting how they each have such different personalities.

The Barred Leghorn Tobi is the most curious about me, and always tries to get to me. On this picture I was kneeling on the floor and she sat on the back of my leg, she looks at my behind and lucky for her I noticed her, otherwise I would have squashed her if I had sat down.

Look at the size of Sophie, she has huge green legs, if she is a she, I hope she lays nice big green eggs one day



My foot was a favorite resting place

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.