Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Things for chicks to do






Since somebody was nice and left me a comment on my last post and asked for suggestions for things for chicks to do, I thought I make a separate post about it. The first picture shows the little sand box I put into their area, it's just a good sized clear plastic box and I put about 2 inches of sand in it, then I got that branch that it visible on that picture, so they have a gnarly branch to climb around on, in the corner next to the sandbox as well as in some other areas I throw a few handfulls of hay, they go crazy about it, scratching in it, grabbing pieces and slinging them on the ground, running around with it and chasing each other.


I am also providing a few perches for them to sit on, actually just made a new one today that is made from a 3 x 2 and is about 3 feet long. This gives them choices for sleeping places, prepares them for sleeping on a perch in the henhouse that is waiting for them and when they are not sleeping it gives them a place to fly up to or use as a launch pad for their flight exercises. The old broomstick is quite a popular perch, they sit there looking outside,


I do believe it is important for chicks to have an enriched environment, they are smart and energetic little creatures and they thrive on having something that keeps them busy. I also give them grass, just pull out a nice size grass plant including the roots and some dirt, it provides great entertainment (and makes a mess).
I sit inside their area sometimes on the floor after I just cleaned up, and hold some lettuce leaves out for them, the go at it as if they haven't eaten for days. I use the lettuce to get them to jump on my hands or arms, I call their names and hold the lettuce in front of them in the hope they will learn their names. Sometimes I scatter a grain mix I made up on the ground for them, flax meal, wheat germ, Scottish oatmeal and some fine buckwheat. They get crumbled boiled egg yolk and finely chopped alfalfa sprouts. I am hoping to move them outside, at least for the days when it is warm, by midweek next week. I am learning as I go, I think I will look for a few nice branches to put into their chicken yard so they can sit off the ground in the sun. Once they can eat adult food I will get some mealworms for them to "hunt" and who knows what else I can come up with to keep my little flock entertained.

1 comment:

benjymous said...

Thanks for that - do you have any particular tips on treats we can feed our adult chickens? They certainly like the dried mealworms we originally bought for the robin, and seem to always have room for dandelion leaves (something that our garden has in abundance) - will they eat anything, or should we be careful on what we give them?